HomeFeaturedSilicon Valley East: Google plans $1B expansion in New York Dec. 18, 2018 at 4:59 amFeaturedNewstechnologySilicon Valley East: Google plans $1B expansion in New YorkAssociated Press2 years agoapgoogleNews MAE ANDERSONAssociated PressSilicon Valley is becoming Silicon Nation.Google announced Monday it will spend more than $1 billion to build a new office complex in New York City that will allow the internet search giant to double the number of people it employs there.It is the tech industry’s latest major expansion beyond the Seattle-San Francisco Bay corridor. It follows recent steps by Amazon and Apple to set up operations well outside their home areas.Tech companies are “coming to the realization that the Bay Area, which has traditionally been the major center of tech activity in the U.S., is getting expensive and crowded,” said Andrew Bartels, principal analyst at Forrester Research.“A lot of vendors are coming to the realization that ‘We can probably find top talent elsewhere at a more affordable costs, and perhaps a better style of life for employees who may be struggling to make ends meet.’”The Northeast is proving to be a good match, with its large concentration of highly educated young people. New York in particular boasts key qualities, including proximity to the financial industry, a large base of existing tech workers, and the second-largest concentration of tech startups behind the Bay Area, Bartels said.Google, based in Mountain View, California, will fashion a complex exceeding 1.7 million square feet along the Hudson River in the city’s West Village neighborhood, Ruth Porat, senior vice president and chief financial officer, said in a blog post.Google opened its first office in New York nearly 20 years ago and now employs 7,000 people in the city. Its footprint has expanded continuously. Google said this year that it would buy the Manhattan Chelsea Market building for $2.4 billion and planned to lease more space at Pier 57, both along the Hudson about a mile north of the newly announced complex.A month ago, Seattle-based Amazon said it would set up new headquarters in New York’s Long Island City neighborhood and in Arlington, Virginia, creating upwards of 25,000 jobs in each location.But it’s not just the East Coast that is benefiting from the expansion.Apple, based in Cupertino, California, said last week that it plans to build a $1 billion campus in Austin, Texas, that will create at least 5,000 jobs.And Google is expanding elsewhere, too. It plans to develop a 50-acre area into offices, homes, shops, restaurants and parks in San Jose, California, the heart of Silicon Valley. And this year it opened new offices and data centers in cities including Detroit; Boulder, Colorado; and Los Angeles, as well as in such states as Tennessee and Alabama.The bidding for programmers is driving salaries higher, which in turn is catapulting the average prices of homes in many parts of the San Francisco Bay Area above $1 million. Many high-tech workers are choosing to live elsewhere, forcing major tech employers to look in new places for the employees they need.Facebook, based in Menlo Park, California, has over 2,000 employees in New York.Google hopes to move into the new campus by 2020. Porat said that the company’s most recent investments give it the ability to more than double the number of Google employees in New York over the next 10 years.Tech companies see New York as a way to gain a new perspective, one that is different from that of Silicon Valley, which can be seen as an “out-of-touch echo chamber,” Bartels said.“New Yorkers consider themselves to be more in tune with the reality of life in U.S. urban centers and believe this helps them innovate products and services that are more closely aligned with the needs of the average American,” he said.Not all tech companies are investing in areas outside of their original headquarters, however.Microsoft is overhauling its headquarters in Redmond, Washington, with an 18-building construction project that will make room for an additional 8,000 workers. It currently employs about 47,000 in the area.Tags :apgoogleNewsshare on Facebookshare on Twitteradd a commentPelosi flashes survival skills – and she’ll need them in ’19White House digs in on border wall demand, risking shutdownYou Might Also LikeFeaturedNewsBobadilla rejects Santa Monica City Manager positionMatthew Hall9 hours agoNewsBruised but unbowed, meme stock investors are back for moreAssociated Press19 hours agoNewsWedding boom is on in the US as vendors scramble to keep upAssociated Press19 hours agoNewsCouncil picks new City ManagerBrennon Dixson19 hours agoFeaturedNewsProtesting parents and Snapchat remain in disagreement over child protection policiesClara Harter19 hours agoFeaturedNewsDowntown grocery to become mixed use developmenteditor19 hours ago
Home » News » Online ‘Sold’ boards that help agents show their track record to go live this summer previous nextProducts & ServicesOnline ‘Sold’ boards that help agents show their track record to go live this summerNew way for consumers to find property and research local markets, and for agents to ‘own’ their previous sales, is nearing completion.Nigel Lewis18th June 201801,197 Views A new online service is set to launch later this summer that will enable estate agents to ‘own’ an online Sold board for each property they sell, it has been revealed.Although a name for the business has not been decided on, it’s being developed with the working title ‘SeenABoard’ and is likely to have a similar website address.Rumours have been swirling around Twitter that the business, which has been developed over the past two years by industry IT stalwart Robert May’s Rummage4 business, will be a direct competitor with Rightmove, Zoopla and OnTheMarket.But Robert has told The Negotiator that this is not the case, and that his brainchild will instead both be an alternative way for agents to drive traffic to their property listings and for consumers to search locally in a map environment, rather than the list format most portals primarily employ.He says the difference between his service and the portals is that on his platform agents will be able to choose where to send people to view their property’s listings and that for example “it could be to their Zoopla one or their own website,” says Robert.“When a Sold board is taken down any evidence of the transaction pretty much disappears, which means some online-only agents are able to claim success rates and market shares that aren’t always accurate… but we’ll put an end to that,” says Robert (pictured, left).Sales and letting agents who sign up to use the service are to provide Robert with their historic sales and in turn this will be married to a map of the UK where, eventually, every house will have a ‘Sold board’ for the most recent agent to have achieved its sale.“We’ve been working with several players in the housing market and so far everyone who has seen it has given it a good reception,” says Robert.He says that unlike other digital property listings he won’t be ‘scraping’ properties off agents’ websites and instead will only use data given to him with permission.“Although we’ve got a Beta product to show agents, we’re still some way off a full launch. I wanted to develop a lead generating platform that puts agents at the heart of the service; is affordable to use; and exists to benefit those who supply the data – i.e. the agents and builders – and not just to make the management/founders rich.”Read more about Robert May.property portal Robert May rummage4 sales leads sold boards June 18, 2018Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021 read more
Mission hangs American flags along Johnson Drive, part of its annual tribute to those who have served the country. The flags fly from Memorial Day through Veterans Day.Happy Memorial Day, dear readers. We’ll be taking the day off to spend time with family, but will be back tomorrow with fresh coverage of your community. Have a great start to the summer!
UK-based ferry operator P&O Ferries has reported that the number of passengers crossing the English Channel on its services in August was the highest for any month since 2003.P&O Ferries carried 1,177,053 people between Dover and Calais last month, a 2.5 per cent increase on the previous year and the highest monthly figure since August 2003.The news follows a strong performance in July in which P&O Ferries carried more units of freight across the English Channel – 123,000 in total – than in any other month in its modern history.The Dover-based company, which also operates routes across the North Sea and the Irish Sea, attributed the strong passenger numbers to its investment in a new class of super-ferry which has enhanced capacity, as well as tourists capitalizing on the continuing economic recovery in the region.Industrial action by French seamen which closed the port of Calais for several days during the peak season has not affected the upward trajectory.“This summer has been one of the most challenging ever for cross-Channel travel and I am very pleased that P&O Ferries has helped to keep tourists and freight moving between Britain and France in huge numbers,” Helen Deeble, Chief Executive of P&O Ferries, said.“We expect further busy periods during the half-term holiday and also the winter sports season, with a growing number of skiers choosing to drive to the Alps via one of our ferries rather than fly.”P&O Ferries, which brought a sixth ship back into service on the English Channel in July in order to increase capacity, says it has also seen additional demand because of the migrant disruptions at Eurotunnel. read more
Drivers who pre-register by Aug. 24 and pay $15 get a reserved pit stall good Friday through Sunday; those that want the same stall they had last year should enter by Aug. 1. Registration after Aug. 24 is $100. Entry forms and more information about the event are available at www.racesaver.com. Friday and Saturday qualifying features pay $700 to win and $250 to start both send nine cars the the big show, with last-chance races rounding of that field on Sunday. Parties in the pit follow all four race programs, with the band Jacked providing the tunes Sunday night. Dr. Danger, aka The American Daredevil, will perform four-wheel stunts during intermissions throughout the weekend. EAGLE, Neb. – IMCA race teams and fans from across the country are making plans to be part of the biggest Sprint Car event of the season, the eighth annual RaceSaver Nationals Sept. 3-6 at America’s Home Track Eagle Raceway. Twenty-seven Sprint Cars will go wheel-to-wheel and wing-to-win in the 30-lap, $2,500 to win, minimum $1,250 to start main event on Sunday evening. The most prestigious checkers in the RaceSaver World fly during a four-day event filled with fun on and off the track. The dodgeball tournament to benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund and driver meet and greet and autograph session are all planned for Sunday afternoon, with the crowning of Miss Eagle Raceway during an intermission that evening. Pre-tech, practice and qualifying heats for the $1,000 to win Jake Ita Memorial Race of Champions fill the Thursday card. Jason Martin is the two-time and defending champion of the RaceSaver Nationals Powered by Sunbelt Rentals. Mach-1 Sport Compacts also run on Friday, Karl Kustoms Northern SportMods on Saturday and IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks on Sunday. Four-day discounted tickets are $45 for adults and $15 for youth and must be ordered by Aug. 29. Four-day discounted pit passes are $90. Single day tickets and pit passes will also be sold. By Greg Soukup read more
Members of Bosnia and Herzegovina’s (BiH’s) Presidency Sefik Dzaferovic and Zeljko Komsic attended the ceremony marking the “Flame of Peace” arrival to Bosnia and Herzegovina’s (BiH’s) capital Sarajevo here on Saturday, local media reported.“The Flame of Peace” was brought to Sarajevo International Airport (SIA) by mayors of Sarajevo, Abdulah Skaka and East Sarajevo, Nenad Vukovic, who will be the hosts at the opening of European Youth Olympic Festival (EYOF) here on Feb.10, 2019.The “Flame of Peace” will be lit again, thirty-five years after the capital Sarajevo hosted 14thWinter Olympic Games in 1984.Dzaferovic and Komsic highlighted that EYOF is the biggest sports event organized in BiH after 1984 Winter Olympics and that it will positively influence on the country’s reputation internationally.At the ceremony, Skaka pointed out that it is very important that the “Flame of Peace” arrived in BiH and that youth should be given a chance to build a new world.“It is my wish that a flame of peace blazes forever in BiH,”Skaka said, expressing the conviction that this will be the best organized EYOF, adding that the significant results can be achieved with joint efforts.The ceremony marked the first time in the history of EYOF that the flame was taken over by two cities in one country.Mayor of East Sarajevo, Nenad Vukovic, said that EYOF represents the biggest sport event in BiH after the Winter Olympics in 1984, adding that over 1,500 contestants from more than 50 European countries will participate.“With this, BiH will return to the scene of organizing great competitions in winter sports,” Vukovic added.From Feb.10-16, 2019, EYOF will bring 750 members of national Olympic Committee delegations and 1,600 athletes aged 14-18 competing in eight sports: alpine skiing, biathlon, cross-country skiing, figure skating, ice hockey, short track speed skating, snowboarding and curling.(Photo: vijesti.ba) read more